Carex stipata (Awl-fruited Sedge)
Please select all options.
Plant Description: this clump forming wetland perennial grows in large dense tufts with flat, light yellowish green grass-like leaves. Elongated leaves have a rough texture. Carex stipata’s brownish green flower heads look like bushy fox-tails and are located at the end of a three sided stalk, characteristic of all sedges. The tiny flowers bloom from mid spring to mid summer.
- Height: 2-3 ft
- Width: Roughly 3 ft spread
- Watering needs: Likes wet soil, tolerates standing water up to a depth of 6"
- Sun needs: Sun, light shade
- Soil needs: Moist soil, heavy clay
- Bloom Time: Mid spring to mid summer
- Portland Plant List (Backyard Habitat Certification): Yes
Landscape Use and Ecological Function: thrives in almost any wet soil environment at low elevations such as wetlands, moist meadows, open clearings, swamps, and near lake edges.
*Photos by SevenOaks Nursery*
** All physical products are for in-store pickup only. We don't have shipping or delivery. We will hold your order for 3 days. On the 4th day, a 25% restocking fee will be applied. This doesn't apply to non-physical products like classes.